Event Coordinator (Volunteer)
Schedule: Part Time
Length of Contract: Permanent
Position Type: Volunteer
Work Location: Flexible
Travel Requirements: None
Posting Category/Function: Arts, Culture, Events
Slant Reading Series is dedicated to celebrating prose and poetry that engages with social issues. Our mandate is to combine the variety and vibrancy of Canadian literature with the grassroots initiatives of charities and non-profits. For every event, we coordinate with a local social justice organization, spreading their message and supporting their mandate, in order to emphasize the necessary relationship between art and activism. This connection allows us to achieve our goal: to highlight the many ways in which Canadians are engaging with social issues through writing, and to provide a platform for diverse, often underrepresented voices.
We’re looking to build a small team of volunteers to support the series as we launch the 2019 season. If you’re dedicated to social justice, interested in the Toronto literary scene, and want to make a difference, consider applying for the Event Coordinator volunteer position.
Development of non-profit partnerships
- Identify, research, and compile data on prospective partners that align with Slant’s mandate
- Take the lead on developing and maintaining mutually beneficial relationships with non-profits
- Secure partner organizations for each Slant event
- Coordinate with non-profit partner to plan Slant event and implement fundraising strategy
- Coordinate pre-event details; liaise with venue and non-profit partner
- Responsible for all event operational details: acquiring equipment if necessary, on-site setup, troubleshooting, resolving logistical problems, clean-up, etc.
- Work closely with members of the marketing and programming teams to organize, support, and execute Slant events
- Assist with social media efforts to promote each event
- Participation in bi-monthly Slant event and regular team meetings will be required
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Google Docs, Google Sheets
- Knowledge of local non-profit sector preferred
- Previous event coordination and fundraising experience preferred
- Demonstrated interest in and passion for social justice and/or Canadian literature would be an important asset
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and project management skills
- Ability to work independently
- Highly motivated and dependable
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Works well on solo projects as well as in groups
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Friendly, creative, and dependable team player with a positive attitude
Slant Reading Series is an equal opportunity employer and strongly supports and values diversity in the workplace. We hire without regard to religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or other status protected by applicable law. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome and individuals from equity-seeking groups are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Applications and queries will be kept confidential. The deadline for applications is November 20, 2018.